February 13, 2008

Moules Marinières

This is one of the easiest recipes.

Plump, juicy mussels in a white wine, garlic and shallot sauce. Plenty of French bread to soak up the sauce. A glass of the remaining white wine.
Perfection!




Moules Marinières
serves 4

extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
3 pounds live mussels, rinsed and debearded just before cooking
handful of chopped fresh parsley
black pepper

Warm the olive oil in a large stockpot over medium low heat.
Sauté the shallot and garlic until translucent.
Add the wine and boil until reduced slightly.
Add the mussels, cover, and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the mussels open, then cook for an additional minute.
Remove from the heat, evenly divide the mussels among 4 shallow soup bowls, sprinkle with parsley and black pepper, and pour the cooking juices over all.
Serve immediately. Pin It

8 comments:

Peter M said...

Lou Lou, I've yet to meet a bowl of mussels I didn't like.

Keep the faith (mussels)!

Jennifer said...

I agree Peter!
I've always preferred them over clams.
They're also good gratineed.

Cassoulet Cafe said...

You've reminded me with this post: Oh how I wish Le Belge restaurant was still open in Toulouse!

La Belette Rouge said...

Mussels or clams and wine and French bread---just proves that simple is best. Mium-mium!!!

Jennifer said...

CC
We enjoy moules frites when we go down to Narbonne Plage or Gruissan Plage.
You'll have to have some moules while you're in France!

la Belette rouge,
Isn't that so true?

Kate said...

Living on Penn Cove of Penn Cove mussel fame, I've tried mountains of recipes. We eat them almost every week. Try this one, it's sooo good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21871,00.html

Kate said...

Oops, I don't think that link worked. I'll try again. It's Emeril's asian-inspired mussels on Food Network if the link still won't work. Next time you're on this side of the pond, you must come here!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_21871,00.html

Jennifer said...

Kate,
Thanks for the recipe! We have great access to mussels here (definitely not as good as Penn Cove mussels, though!) but I don't cook them as often as I should.
I would love to come for a visit next time! Thanks for the invitation!